- Nottingham city and Mansfield
Nottinghamshire YMCA is a diverse, non-profit registered charity based within Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County.
There are currently two hostels - a 111 bed hostel based in Shakespeare Street in Nottingham and a further 31 beds at the hostel in Mansfield. Alongside the hostels there are 21 transitional houses within the community.
We accept our referrals from The Gateway Team based at Nottingham City Council Housing Aid and also accept direct referrals where individuals can refer themselves for accommodation at teh Shakespeare Street Hostel.
Within the housing team based at Shakespeare Street we are made up of two social workers, a youth worker, a training and development officer and six tenancy sustainment officers. Each resident will have a key worker, depending on their level of needs and support. They are expected to work closely with their key worker during their stay at the YMCA and work through their issues and put together an action plan towards independent living and holding down their own tenancy.
- Working on legal and policy issues relating to homeless people
- Anti-oppressive practice work with adults who have experienced homelessness
- Group work
- Experience of advocating on behalf of residents with outside agencies and organisations
- Multi-agency and partnership working with both the statutory and voluntary sectors
- Person-centred planning and review, including accessing personal budgets
- Working as part of a team
- Opportunity to work across other projects within Nottinghamshire YMCA
- Crisis intervention
- Undertake assessment with new residents as part of thier move in/on process
- Crisis intervention
- Systematic record keeping
- Working with challenging behaviours
- Understanding Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- Risk assessment
- Valuing diversity
- Practice with an emphasis and focus on prompting life skills and greater social inclusion
- Opportunities to apply relevant theories
- Understanding of issues relating to those who are homeless or vulnerably housed
The YMCA has gone through hugh changes over recent years - follwoing the loss of supporting people funding, there was a complete restructure of the staffing team within both hostels to ensure that all the residents continued to receive a high level of support and guidance.
A student on placement at the YMCA will benefit from working within an experienced and diverse team who have a wealth of experience between them, and they will gain an opportunity to work alongside a qualified social worker, youth worker and a training and development officer within the hostel.
Although the hostel is staffed 24 hours a day, the housing team work from Monday to Friday covering a period of 8am – 8pm. Therefore students should expect to finish work at 8pm once a week.
To have a look at what we do, visit our website.